Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Don't Pity Me, But Do Better

I came across this video through Facebook this week. https://www.facebook.com/dontpanic/videos/10154584158398619/ It depicts a man in a wheelchair going about his day in what is presumably London. I've been to London, and it is definitely not as accessible as it could be. Same for New York, where I can often be found.

Say your favorite sports star or celebrity is making an appearance. If you are employed, you just happen to have the day off. For the sake of argument, you live in the suburbs outside a big city. You can drive or take public transportation. So you have the option of taking a cab, the subway or the bus. You've already taken the train into the city. Whichever mode of transportation you see first, you take.

Well, aren't you lucky? Now if you're handicapped and unable to drive yourself. This is what I go through every time I want to go to the city.

1. How long will it take me to get ready? What time do I need to wake up?

2. How am I getting to the train station? Will my mom take me or the shared bus? If the shared bus, what time are they coming? Have I accounted for them being late, because they always are.

3. Once I get there, where am I eating? Is the restaurant accessible? Do they have an accessible bathroom? So I have to call ahead, even though I've made an online reservation. Then you go through the whole "What do I mean by accessible" conversation. Oh joy!

4. If the restaurant I chose isn't accessible, do I have a back-up? And both restaurants have to be near to my destination.

5. How am I getting from the train station to my first stop (usually the restaurant)? Am I taking the bus or walking? I can't use the subway without help, and taxis don't stop for you if you're in a wheelchair. Even in the rain. I took my first NYC cab ride in 29 years this year.

6. Are there accessible bathrooms in places I am familiar with along the route? Yeah, this is a tricky one. All department stores are not created equal, and neither are restaurants. Just because an establishment is well-known and seemingly rolling in dough, doesn't mean they've thought about their disabled customers. I'm never surprised when I'm led deep into the bowels of the place just to use the restroom. When you gotta go, you gotta go!

7. Is the theater or filming location (yes, I'm that girl) in an area where there are handicap bathrooms? Is the building itself accessible? I couldn't see Steve Martin's play because I found out the theater didn't have a handicap bathroom. I would have had to leave and go a-huntin'.

8. How am I getting back to the train? As before, do I know what cross-street I have to be at at exactly what time?

9. How am I getting home from my local station? What do I do if I have missed the train I was supposed to take? The bus won't wait. And there have been a couple of times when the elevators at Penn Station weren't working. Luckily, I have parents who are willing to bring me home. Not everyone does.

Tired just from reading this? Welcome to my world. When I say I don't get out much, believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment