Sunday, December 18, 2016

Plays, Concerts, Oh My!

I have recently tried to get tickets for a Broadway play. I procrastinated, so I couldn't get a wheelchair ticket for the performance I wanted. I am on a limited income, but I'm also cheap! I often talk myself out of going somewhere.

It got me thinking, though. Usually, there are wheelchair seats in Broadway theaters. A couple of times, the theater didn't have a bathroom I could use, so I didn't see a play at that theater. Each theater has at least couple of wheelchair seats, both transfer and removable spaces for your wheelchair. Telecharge gives you the option of high or low price seats. But they don't ask for proof of your using a wheelchair. Anyone could ask for a seat, and the venue won't know until the person actually shows up for the performance. Same with concerts. It doesn't help that these seats are often cheaper than those for able-bodied people.
Liev Schreiber

Now I understand that you can't police people just trying to see a show or a concert. But there must be a better system. Sellers can't feasibly interrogate potential clients, but come on! Separate the liars from the people who need and deserve accessible seating.

No comments:

Post a Comment