Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I Joined a Gym-Kinda

A new gym opened up near me, in Garden City. Lifetime Fitness. Wow! Fancy!

I wanted to join as a member, so I did the tour. Turns out they have a therapy office inside. Yay! Medicare pays 80%, same as any other place. And instead of wasting time while you wait for your session to start, you can use the machines of the gym. They have a pool, but they were concerned about me swimming alone. I did see a couple of young men in electric wheelchairs. They have helpers, so they use the pool.

If you're in a wheelchair, getting fit is a problem. Every therapist has the same exercises for you to do. Bo-ring! I've been looking for something to do to increase cardio. The rope pull was recommended, but it doesn't exactly get my heart pumping. Boxing helps, but I can't really get close enough to the heavy bags to get an effective punch in. The big problem is half the machines are built for people standing who are tall and able to hook their legs into straps.

Anyone else have these problems? What do you recommend to get your heart pumping? (No pun intended.)

No comments:

Post a Comment