Monday, August 29, 2016

To Wait or Not to Wait

I'm re-watching "Recipe for Love", a Hallmark Channel movie about a celebrity chef who falls in love with the ghostwriter for his cookbook. Ironically, I'm reading an ARC by the same name.

So you can see why I'm in the mood to talk about restaurants (and I'm hungry). In the movie, the chef says he got "slammed" the night before. And it got me thinking. We New Yorkers are always in a rush. So we want our food to come out of the kitchen fast. But how fast is too fast? You don't want cold food, or undercooked meat, right? So the longer the chef takes to make your meal, the better chance I think you have of it being good. But you don't want to sit there for 45 minutes, either. Especially since, in this carb-obsessed society, a lot of restaurants aren't giving out breadbaskets anymore. No bread is a travesty!

No wonder they say a lot of restaurants don't make it past their first year! The industry is practically built to make the chef fail. Unless you pre-make some dishes, how can you hope to keep up?

No comments:

Post a Comment