Monday, April 11, 2016

IT"S NOT YOUR STALL!!!

Let me tell you a story. A few months ago, I was at Penn Station, waiting to use the handicapped stall in the bathroom. I have to use the bathroom where I can find it, really, so I couldn't just go somewhere else and hope I could use one at the next place. Even Starbucks is not always reliable.

So I'm waiting. I'm usually patient. I get it. When you gotta go, you gotta go. Especially if you're a woman. Five minutes went by. The attendant noticed me still waiting and banged on the stall door. Obviously she was taller than me, and could see inside the stall. The non-handicapped woman was sitting there reading on her phone!

The handicapped stall is not your personal spa room. It is to be used by people in wheelchairs and those using canes, crutches and walkers. It is not to give you more room to spread out. I've been waiting for the stall, and three women (and their suitcases) come out!

Many people are embarrassed, and immediately apologize upon seeing the handicapped woman waiting for the handicapped stall. I try not to knock to hurry people up, but sometimes it's necessary. Other times they just walk past me, as if the extra room is their due.

Basically, follow the Golden Rule, because one day, the wheelchair might be supporting your legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment