Wednesday, July 6, 2016

FitBit: Useful or Not?

So today I saw a potential new physical therapist. I wasn't getting enough cardio at my usual place, so I asked him what I could do to change that. He suggested the arm bike, which I've had for years (and I hate it because it overheats and locks up on me).

Then he suggested wheeling as fast as I can and wearing a FitBit watch to see how fast I can go. But don't those cost a lot? And aren't they only for walking and running?

Not the case, it appears. Or at least, it won't be the case soon. Apple has apparently developed a watch for wheelchair users. But is this watch feasible?

According to a recent article, "Instead of standing breaks, people in wheelchairs will be prompted to wheel or spin their chairs around regularly. Apple will also start tracking distance, speed and calories burned during wheelchair use, just as it does for walking or running." http://bigstory.ap.org/article/45481999f2e3401d9ec6238b54825f76/apple-watch-will-soon-track-fitness-wheelchair-users#

Sounds good, right? And then you go on to read that the watch will cost at least 300 dollars. WHAT? Most people in wheelchairs can't find jobs. No matter what the media will tell you, prejudice against the disabled exists. If no one will hire me, and my only income is my disability check, how am I going to afford half a month's pay? Granted, I personally don't live off my check, but what if I did?

Society is already telling us that as disabled people we just just stay at home and age. If you want to not get fat as well, you should buy an expensive watch to prompt you into exercising. That, or join a gym, which takes care of that pesky disability check burning a hole in your pocket.

And hey, now that you can't afford to eat, you'll lose the weight even quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment