Thursday, July 28, 2016

Review of The Red Cat

I am not often downtown, but I was today. I attended a concert at the Highline Ballroom, so I needed to find someplace to eat nearby. I had plenty of time on my hands. I made the reservation through OpenTable, and I specified that I was in a wheelchair. The staff actually called me to confirm, and to make sure I knew how accessible they were! And they called again today to let me know that they would have the ramp set up ten minutes before my reservation. And did I mind that the bathroom has no grab bars? Who does that? Not many restaurants, I will tell you.

I got there early. Not a problem. You ring the bell for assistance, and someone comes out to help. They keep two portable lifts on hand, because there are two giant steps. The front door was a bit narrow, though. I managed in my manual chair. The bathroom was in a narrow hallway off to the side, next to the bar, behind a painting. They had two individual bathrooms. Again, the doorway was narrow. If my chair was an inch wider, I would have been in trouble. The room itself was wide enough that I could make a complete turn, though why are toilets always so close to the wall? I need elbow room!

The staff could not have been nicer, though. And the food was delicious! Restaurant Week is a bit of a hit-and-miss usually, because it always seems like they are trying to save money with tiny portions and low-quality ingredients. And you always feel rushed. Not so here. The salad was sooo good. I'm still thinking about that roasted lemon vinaigrette. And I had the pan-seared porgie, caught in Montauk, the waiter told me. The dish had so much corn, I was in corn-lovers' heaven! And for dessert, chocolate budino. All I know is, thank god I brought my own chair on wheels.
The porgie, on a bed of mashed potatoes
The chocolate budino-I'll be hyper tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment