Thursday, July 14, 2016

Paint Nite vs Muse Paintbar

Recently, I started going to Paint Nite. If you haven't been, it's a painting class that occurs at your local bar or restaurant. You go on the Paint Nite website, and depending on your town, you have your pick of paintings. It's $45, but there is a code that you can use all year for $20 off.

A Muse Paintbar recently opened up in Garden City, a half-an-hour drive from me. It's a dedicated painting studio, but they offer small bites and drinks.The first session I attended, they offered one free drink for that class. Because it's a studio, they can offer different classes at the same time. It's open all day, and the instructors are there all day, so you don't feel rushed. At Paint Nite, the instructor is usually in a hurry to leave, because the restaurant wants to use that space. There's only one class every couple of weeks offered at my local place, sometimes once a week. Muse Paintbar charges $35, but they do offer discount codes at certain times of the month. They put up the classes for the next month on the 23rd on every month.

Sounds good, right? As someone in a wheelchair, I can't go to every restaurant offering Paint Nite in my area. That means I miss out on some paintings. Muse is wheelchair accessible, with two unisex bathrooms. The problem, for me, has been seating. Muse has several tables at different heights. People choose to stand a lot. This means that I can't see the instructor, especially when you seat me in the back. That made my first class stressful. There is assigned seating at Paint Nite, too, but you feel more comfortable asking to be seated somewhere else. I did complain to Muse Paintbar, and got a voucher. So A for customer service. Now I know to request a specific seat when making a reservation.

Remember I mentioned Muse is open all day? Well, the second time I went, I took two classes on the same day. The second class started late, which meant I was late for my ride. The instructor was kind enough to actually finish my jars (they don't just teach canvas painting) and bring them out to the bus for me. The one time Able-Ride was on time... I also received another voucher for the trouble it caused.

One of the paintings I did at Muse Paintbar
This is not to say that I prefer Paint Nite, or Muse . I enjoyed both. Muse has the ability to offer longer class sessions with bigger classes, so your painting can be more detailed. I am definitely planning to go again. And they are not global, like Paint Nite. That might change one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment